My Sisters' House



Domestic Violence & Abuse

(Please note, we are not a 24/7 emergency service.)

If you are living with a person who is violent or threatening to you or your children, you may need to leave home, at least temporarily, to protect yourself. Contact the below services.

If you feel at immediate risk in your home call the Police 999 or 101

If you are not in immediate risk and would like just to talk or seek advice, you can still call any of these organisations or call into our drop-in shop in Lonodn Road, Bognor Regis. Our hours are:- –

  1. Mondays 9am - 2pm
  2. Tuesdays 9am - 2pm
  3. Wednesdays 9am - 2pm
  4. Thursdays 9am - 8pm
  5. Fridays 9am - 3pm.

If you are a friend, colleague or relative you can also contact the organisations, there is also some useful information on their websites.

You too can also talk to us - My Sisters House.

We are confidential and will not share any information without your consent.

Other helpful links

Safe In Sussex

Telephone: 01903219994
HELPLINE Tel: 01903 231939

Women’s Aid

Telephone: 0808 2000 247 (24 hour advice line)

Worth Services

Telephone: 0330 2228181 or you can call/ text us 7 days a week 9am-5pm on 07834 968539
Mon-Friday 9am-5pm

Where can I go?

You may be able to stay temporarily with a friend or relative while you consider your options and obtain advice. If not, or if you fear the violent person might follow you there, contact Housing Options. We will give you advice on the same day that you contact us. If you are in danger we will offer you a place of safety. This is likely to be a women’s refuge.

If you are fleeing violence, you can ask any Council for help. The law says that a local authority must provide advice and assistance to anyone who is homeless or threatened with homelessness as a result of actual or threatened abuse or violence. Your own Council may decide that they cannot offer a safe place for you in the local area, but will assist you to find a women’s refuge or other suitable safe place to stay outside the local area.

What is a women’s refuge?

A refuge offers confidential counselling and information over the phone and if necessary emergency accommodation, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The address of the refuge is kept as secret as possible, to protect the women who stay there. The staff offer support and advice on how to claim benefits & how to get legal advice.

What if I can’t go to a refuge and do not have friends or relatives who can accommodate me?

If you can’t organise a temporary stay with people you know and can’t go to a refuge, please contact Housing Options. We may be able to offer temporary accommodation, which may be a B&B.

Are there other alternative to leaving my property?

If you are suffering physical violence or abuse in your home, you should obtain legal advice from a solicitor, Citizen’s Advice Bureau or specialist advisers at Worth Services or Women’s Aid. The solicitor or adviser will let you know if you can seek an injunction in Court against the person you live with. The injunction can order the person to:

  • Not assault or harass you (called a Non Molestation Order)
  • Not to assault any children living with you
  • To leave the property (called an Occupation Order)
  • To keep away from your home or other places you go to regularly, such as your work or your children’s school
  • To let you back into the home if you were forced out (Occupation Order)

Sometimes an injunction will have a power of arrest. If the injunction is broken, the abuser may be brought back to court to make it even more effective, or they may even be sentenced to prison. If you are assaulted or threatened, you should inform the Police, who will be able to assist you.

The Sanctuary scheme

This is a victim-centred scheme to help victims of domestic violence and abuse to feel safer in their home when the abuser does not live there, so that they can stay there while they receive advice and support. The scheme offers extra security measures such as door and window locks, emergency lighting or measures to prevent or detect fire or smoke.

What will happen if I leave my home?

We may be able to reach a voluntary agreement with the person being violent to you that they leave the home and agree to you staying there. They may be prepared to assign the tenancy to you or transfer the property ownership. If this can’t be arranged voluntarily, you may be assisted to go to Court for a judgement about the home.

You can get advice about all of these choices from Housing Options, a solicitor or Citizen’s Advice Bureau.